
What a difficult and confusing time
we are currently in. Everyone is experiencing this differently; people have
different living situations and different work and school loads, so I
definitely feel for those who have it worst. With that being said, there are
several things that give me hope during this time. I tend to not focus on the
negative but rather the positive, I always see the glass half full. But the
fact that everyone as a community is coming together and doing their part is
something that gives me hope. I am extremely proud of and thankful for all the
healthcare workers and first responders who are putting their lives at risk
during this time. Other things that give me hope is seeing people video chatting
or using zoom to connect with family and friends, taking advantage of today’s
technology while also responsible and doing their part to flatten the curve.
Another thing I love seeing is
people creating their own workouts at home since gyms are closed. Being in this
lockdown is really forcing us to open up our minds and get creative, using what
is around us. This quarantine is allowing us to bond better with who we live
with, whether its family or roommates, so seeing people cooking different
things and playing different board games really inspires me. As for myself, I
have adapted to the quarantine lifestyle fairly easy. I know for some, being
trapped in a home with limited things to do can be very draining on the mind,
so I can share what I do to maintain a healthy mind.
I try to wake up by 8am rather than sleep in
(even though I know how difficult it can be) so I can be more productive and
avoid staying up late. I know there are two things I cannot control: the virus
itself and the media. So I try my best not to get too buried into the news even
though I do prefer to stay updated with what is going on. However, I have full
control of my attitude and the mindset in how I approach this situation as
whole. I try to have a decent balance of time spent between schoolwork, chores,
exercise, television, and phone. Here is a hyperlink for a list of home
workouts that require no equipment, just yourself. Breaking a sweat is
always great to clear the mind even if the workout is only for half an hour to
an hour. Reading a book is always soothing, in all honesty I am not the biggest
fan of reading but sometimes the right book can reel you in.
It is truly inspiring to see how people
are finding different ways to cope with this lockdown and I am proud of
everyone who is doing their part. For everyone struggling, take it one day at a
time, try different activities you wouldn’t normally do, before you know it
everything will be back to normal. To wrap up this blog I just want to give a
huge thank you to our healthcare workers and everyone else involved in this
pandemic, and my deepest condolences to those who have been affected by the
virus.
Jacob,
ReplyDeleteDifficult and confusing? You can say that again! I love the positivity you show throughout your whole post. You express how you like to view the cup as half full. That is a great quality to have, I feel especially at this time. You notice how the community is coming together and how that gives you hope, I definitely see that too. Video chatting is such a big thing right now! Both FaceTime (more than usual), as well as zoom. I guess the important thing is to stay connected.
You mention the need of getting creative. I NEED THAT. I think I am blocking so many ideas of what I can do because I let negativity get to me at this time, instead of all positive. I love love love, absolutely LOVE how you said that you know you can’t control the virus or the media, so you focus on what you can control. The controlled being your attitude and mindset. I feel that I really needed to hear that. Thank you for making me rethink the way I am doing things.
Stay safe!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Jacob,
ReplyDeleteYour blog post really lifted my spirits. Normally I wallow a lot because of what's going on in the world but I've been trying to get better about it day by day. But you're right, there is so much to be not only thankful for but also hopeful for. We all know this won't be forever, it's just a matter of time of when I guess. It is important to think about all the people risking their lives for us to just have to sit inside and I think that's a support important factor to stress. i'm definitely trying to take this time to spend more time but my dad which I wouldn't have been able to do if this stay at home order didn't happen so I'm appreciative of that. I will definitely take this time to start to look at the light through the cracks and appreciate everyday a little more. Thanks again and stay safe!! Don't forget to wash your hands :)