After reading about
Annie Murphy Paul's three different types of learners I would say that I am a
mixture between surface and deep learning. I feel like the ultimate goal when
taking a course would be to have true and deep understanding of the course content
but also while getting credit for that class. For me personally, I do not give
myself a hard time when I do not get an A or a B in a class. I would rather be
content with getting a C grade but having true understanding of what was
taught. If I have true understanding of what I learned in school, the easier
time I will have applying the skills and knowledge I learned into my career.
Murphy Paul considers deep learners the most successful and I agree with her,
however there are certain situations where strategic learners can be most
successful. Generally, the higher education one wants to pursue, the better
grades they need to have which may cause them to lose focus on the deep meaning
of what is actually taught. For example, if I would like to apply to graduate
school and pursue my master’s degree, I would need better grades than those
whom are also applying because just like undergrad, those with better grades
have a better chance of being accepted. This is where it conflicts with my
learning type, as I never strived to get straight A’s but instead learn more
about the deeper meaning and have better understanding of the course context. At
the same time, everyone has their own ways of being successful. Depending on
what profession you wish to pursue, all careers require different types of
experience with different levels of education. It all depends on what you want
in life to decide which type of learner is considered the most successful. I
know people that are extremely smart but do not get the best grades, and I know
people that get really good grades but do not apply themselves to the true
meaning of the course context. Everyone has their own path that they choose to
take, with that being said there is no right or wrong way as to which type of
learner you are. I truly believe that a surface type of learner can become more
successful than a strategic or deep learner. This article by Murphy Paul is
such a good read because she teaches you to pursue what you truly want, rather
than chasing straight A’s as she believes that will make you more successful in
the future. I also like how she preaches to become comfortable with failing; a
lot of us grew up with parents that put a lot of pressure on us to get good
grades and sometimes we would feel discouraged when we would get bad grades
because were afraid of how our parents would feel. This mindset kind of made people going to
school “to not fail” rather than going to school “to learn” and actually be
passionate about what you want to do.
https://ideas.time.com/2013/03/13/secrets-of-the-most-successful-college-students/
https://www.rasmussen.edu/student-experience/college-life/most-common-types-of-learners/
https://ideas.time.com/2013/03/13/secrets-of-the-most-successful-college-students/
https://www.rasmussen.edu/student-experience/college-life/most-common-types-of-learners/
Hey Jacob,
ReplyDeleteI agree with many points you made in your blog in regards to learning types and the meaning of success to different people. I'm relatively the same when it comes to learning type, I'm content with walking away with deep understanding even if it means I don't ace the class (obviously not content if I fail it). I like how you pointed out how strategic learners can reach high levels of success in regards to education, because it's very true that certain programs are competitive and grades can really affect if you get accepted into it or not. I knew people who graduated with all A's, but it's like they barely retained any deep knowledge that they can apply to their career or life, so I feel like that isn't necessarily the best outcome. But ultimately I agree that no learning type is good or bad, but it really depends on the individuals and what levels of success they want to achieve.
Thanks for sharing about you!